Nom nom nom.
I feel super lucky to live right next door to an awesome year-round Farmers Market. (It's part of why we chose this neighborhood in the first place!) But the Spring and Summer months are especially exciting! So many fresh, vibrant colors to take in - and recipes to plan!
This weekend I put together a little Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble, based on my many recreations of Meghan Telpner's crumble - from her must-have (seriously, you must have it) book UnDiet.
It was my first time using rhubarb - and it was sooo good! I picked up the rhubarb on a whim last week at the market. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, but it was too beautiful to pass by. Its super tart taste pairs perfectly with the sweetness of fresh strawberries.
For the filling:
Two cups strawberries, quartered
Two cups rhubarb, sliced into half-inch thick slices
1/4 cup raw honey
3/4 tablespoon arrowroot starch
For the crumble:
1/2 cup sprouted spelt flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup coconut oil, just melted
1/4 cup raw honey, just melted
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the ingredients for the filling.
- In a second, medium-sized bowl, combine the ingredients for the crumble, mixing well to combine.
- Pour the filling layer into an oven-safe baking dish, to create the first layer of the dish.
- Evenly sprinkle the crumble over the filling, creating the second layer of the dish.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until slightly golden on top and the layer of fruit bubbles below.