This Fourth Of July was lovely!
Skipped the fireworks and booze and parties to enjoy a peaceful, beautiful day spent with some of my best friends + a homemade meal that satisfied the belly and the soul. All set to a backdrop of motown hits and an open appreciation for the stuff that really matters in life.
Friendship. Love. Taking care of ourselves. And taking care of others.
The star of the dinner table was this Avocado Pesto Pasta, the ultimate in summer comfort food. It was inspired by a longing for a pesto I made while at the Academy of Culinary Nutrition last year. Soooo good! Here's a little variation on the original recipe from my mentor Meghan Telpner.
1 package gluten-free pasta This one's my favorite!
1 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 teaspoon EVOO
1 bunch basil leaves
1/2 tablespoon tamari
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 cups tomatoes, sliced
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Sauté mushrooms in 1 teaspoon EVOO, until tender. Set aside.
- Place basil, tamari, sunflower seeds, 1/3 cup olive oil, minced garlic, avocado, and lemon juice in blender. Blend until smooth.
- Drain and transfer pasta to a large bowl.
- Mix in mushrooms, tomatoes, and pesto until pasta is coated and all ingredients are evenly combined.
- Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
So what was YOUR favorite Fourth Of July moment? I'd love to know! I hope you had some time to rest and soak up all the love around you.