Ah, the sweet potato. Love it or leave it, this tuberous root veggie is a nutritional powerhouse, packed with tons of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory goodness.But it's not just good for your body! Its sweet, beta-carotene orange flesh is rich in magnesium, which promotes relaxation, calmness, and a good mood, according to Psychology Today.And don't be afraid to add healthy fats to the mix. Aside from being vital to keeping our bodies functioning optimally, healthy fats (such as olive oil and avocado), when eaten along with sweet potato, help the body to more efficiently absorb beta-carotene!De-stress and give your body some love with these simple Steamed Sweet Potato Spirals. This recipe is so super simple, and it works great as a nutrient-packed veggie side or a mini-meal.Serves: 3Prep Time: 5 minutesCook Time: 10 minutesIngredients:Spiralizer (Or something similar. Even a simple veggie peeler will work.)1 medium-size sweet potato, peeled1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil1/2 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed (More to taste)Sea salt and black pepper, to taste1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds, to finishAvocado, sliced lengthwise (Optional)Instructions:
- Spiralize the sweet potato.
- Fill the bottom of a large pot with 1/2 of water, place steamer basket in pot, and place sweet potato spirals in steamer basket. Steam on medium-to-high heat for 10 minutes, checking occasionally to ensure desired tenderness.
- While sweet potato steams, mix EVOO and lemon juice in a separate dish.
- Once steamed, remove spirals from steamer. Add EVOO-lemon juice mixture, tossing to lightly coat. Taste test: Add more oil and/or lemon juice as needed.
- Finish with sea salt, pepper, and sesame seeds to taste.
- Garnish with avocado slices.