Oh heeeey there!
I didn't see you there behind my giant heaping bowl of chocolate chili and stack of cinnamon cornbread. You have got to try this one! (Recipe and cookbook giveaway coming up!)
It's packed with plant-based power and it's super hearty, to satisfy all! Plus, it has chocolate in it! (What?) Yes. It's true!
Especially as my days and nights grow busier with all the holiday happenings, I'm loving having my friend Michelle Pfennighaus' Winning at Kitchen, A Budget-Conscious Cookbook + Mealplans on hand.
Michelle Pfennighaus is a fellow Holistic Health Coach and graduate of the Institute for Integrative Nutrition. She suffered for years with debilitating IBS and anxiety, until finally healing herself through changes in diet and lifestyle. Now, she helps others do the same. (And you know I'm all about that!)
Sure, I know how to make meal plans. And sure, I know how to cook up some delicious, nutritious food!
But sometimes even a health coach just wants some new done-for-you ideas, to take the stress out of deciding what's for dinner - and to add to the standard rotation! I'm keeping things interesting over here!
So far, I've loved everything I've tried!
Another nice thing about the Winning at Kitchen recipes is that they're family-friendly! Michelle knows what it takes to get her little people to eat their veggies. In fact, she's kind of an expert at that.
We could all use a little more time in our days, right? And a little more money in our pockets! With Winning at Kitchen, you'll get:
- 25+ recipes for breakfast, dinner, dessert and money-saving staples using real food ingredients.
- 4 weeks of no-fuss dinnertime meal plans spelled out for you.
- Recipes are dairy-free, gluten-free and pain-in-the-butt-free. Some vegetarian meals, some with meat.
- You’ll get printable grocery shopping lists and make-life-easier prep instructions. Start right away, or whenever your schedule allows.
- You’ll also get Michelle's comprehensive budget shopping guide. Do you know how to edit a recipe to be less pricey? Are you buying organic and wondering if it’s worth the cost? I’ve been honing my money-saving skills for decades and can’t wait to share my secrets with you!
- AND you’ll have 24/7 access to Michelle's online forum for extra help, ingredient substitution questions, recipe exchanges, kid-friendly ideas and more. In other words – you’re not alone. That sort of support is something you don’t get with other cookbooks or meal plans out there!
So what do you say? Wanna snag a copy for yourself? Click right here to buy your copy right now. And, while you're here, why not enter the free giveaway, too!?
WIN YOUR OWN COPY
Click HERE to enter!!
And here's the recipe you've been waiting for:
Chocolate Chili & Cinnamon Cornbread
Makes 8 Servings
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
1 Tbl. coconut oil
1 onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large sweet potato, diced
3 large Swiss chard leaves, minced
15-oz. can diced tomatoes
1 quart chicken or vegetable stock I used vegetable.
2 15-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 15-oz. cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 Tbl. cumin
1 Tbl. cinnamon
1 Tbl. chili powder
2 Tbl. cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. salt (or more, depending on how salty your stock is)
Hot sauce We skipped the hot sauce.
1 cups cornmeal
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 egg, beaten I used a "chia" egg*.
1/4 cup coconut oil, plus more for pan
1 1/2 cups unsweetened milk of choice I used homemade almond milk.
2 Tbl. raw honey
*1 chia egg is easily made by combining 1 Tbl. ground chia seeds (I use a spice/coffee grinder) with 1/4 cup warm water, mixing well (I use a coffee mug), and setting aside for about 10 minutes to fully gel.
- In a large stock pot, heat coconut oil over medium-low heat. Add onion, garlic, and sweet potato. Mix and cook for about 5 minutes. Add Swiss chard, tomatoes, stock, beans, spices, and salt. Bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 1 hour. Serve with hot sauce.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400F. Great a 12-inch cast iron skillet or an 8-inch pan and set aside.
- Combine all cornbread ingredients in a large bowl. Pour into prepared skillet or pan. Bake 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
And enjoy! It tastes amazing - and even better the next day!